johannclaassen

Ek skryf (gewoonlik) soos dit is…

Paarl’s first car dealerships

Written by Marguerite Lombard

Drakenstein Heemkring

Repair shop

EJ Lawton Ltd was one of the first motorcar dealerships in Paarl. The company was based in Cape Town and advertised the opening of its Paarl branch on 22 July 1918. From the advertisement it was possible to deduce that they had bought up Mr GK Briers’ Elite Motor Works opposite the Royal Hotel in Main Street. The hotel was situated between Zeederburg Square and Zion Street. According to the advertisement, Nico Decker had been placed in charge of the dealership’s financial department. Lawton also had cars for hire.

In 1918 JN Hogkins, a mechanical engineering and motorcycle building company – “motor cycle repairs and pram wheels retyred while you wait” – ran an advertisement for a 1918 model “Indian”. The “Indian” was a motorcycle with a sidecar, and the new model’s arrival was described as “the event of the year” (PP 30.03.1918). A few months later Hogkins demonstrated…

View original post 606 more words

Advertisements

Single Post Navigation

Lewer kommentaar

Verskaf jou besonderhede hieronder of klik op 'n logo om in te teken:

WordPress.com Logo

Jy lewer kommentaar met jou rekening by WordPress.com. Log Out / Verander )

Twitter picture

Jy lewer kommentaar met jou rekening by Twitter. Log Out / Verander )

Facebook photo

Jy lewer kommentaar met jou rekening by Facebook. Log Out / Verander )

Google+ photo

Jy lewer kommentaar met jou rekening by Google+. Log Out / Verander )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: